Smartgraymatter's Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm Not Your Prostitute FaceBook!

It is the same over and over again. I keep encountering it in all my social media circles, I hear my friends discussing it around me, I've read enough blog posts on the topic to fill an industrial grade server. Have you guessed that I'm talking about FaceBook and the privacy scare yet? Seriously, the cyber world was nearly overturned when that news slipped out from beneath the cracks.

Redundant as it may seem, I'm going to provide my concise opinion on the FaceBook privacy issue. Please bare with me and we'll make this short and sweet. In short, looking back at the serious lack of competence on FaceBook's behalf I've decided that it wasn't incompetence at all.

As we all know, FaceBook has been trying for some time to monetize their social media giant. They successfully created a platform that we all found to be of value, and we willingly contributed to the volume they attracted. Problem for Facebook was, how to capitalize on all that volume without making Facebook a subscription service. Side note: How ridiculous are all these small groups on Facebook shouting about having to pay for Facebook lol?

That is right, I did promise you a concise post didn't I? My apologies. Bottom line, Facebook has decided that the best way to monetize is to sell our information to the highest bidder. I believe they have been analyzing our chats for months now without us being the wiser. They've collected all that data and then put a price tag on it, subsequently marketing to any corporation that will listen.

Outrage! Unethical! Unbelievable! Yes, it is all these things, and we should speak up and let Facebook know that we don't enjoy being prostitutes. There are ways to market effectively to customers without stealing their personal data. #EpicFail Facebook. I'll think twice before engaging in conversations of a personal nature on your platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment